News from Befrienders Dublin
Austerity Kills. When you have mental health problems, are frequently very depressed and anxious and sometimes suicidal, Austerity can be what finally pushes you over the edge.
Since the beginning of the current recession, the suicide rates have risen sharply. The rate of people seeking help from mental health services has soared while the funding of those services are being slashed.
As a Depressionhead living in Ireland under the jackboots of the Fine Gael/Labour coalition, I have felt my mental health (which was slowly improving) consistently undermined by the savage attacks on benefits as well as the plethora of new taxes foisted on the poor by The Troika in order to pay off the gambling debts of the rich.
Two years ago, our ‘Caring’ Coalition introduced The Property Tax. They encountered huge resistance to paying what was seen as a completely unfair levy. They responded by using the Draconian, almost Totalitarian method of using The Taxman to take (steal?) the money from people’s wages or Benefits. The Government may have thought they had won the war, but in the process they completely lost ‘the hearts & minds’.
So now, they are foisting water charges on us. But people are already stretched to the limit and as Bob Dylan sang: ‘When you got nothin’, you got nothin’ to lose’.
One theory describes Depression as anger turned in on the self. So although Austerity had brought me to to a place where I was once more actively contemplating Suicide, I am now trying to re-focus my anger on fighting back against Austerity. And that feels good.
So, my message to Depressionheads in Ireland and the world over is:
- Don’t let the bastards grind you down.
- Don’t go mad, get even!
- It’s time us ‘Lunatics’ took over the ‘Asylum’!
The writer of this piece wishes to remain anonymous. All views or opinions presented in this article are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Befrienders Dublin.
Recent Blog Posts
- Befrienders Dublin 2017 Photography Project – ‘Every Picture Tells a story’.
- Befrienders Dublin 2016 Photography Project – ‘Capturing The Moment’ – By The Photographers
- Befrienders Dublin 2016 Photography Exhibition – ‘Capturing The Moment’ – Pics & Video
- Befrienders Dublin visit Japanese Gardens & National Stud, 20 Aug 2016
- Befrienders Dublin hit Powerscourt Gardens & Waterfall – 13 Aug, 2016